A home that looks empty is far more likely to be targeted by a burglar, so it's worth making sure your home looks occupied. You can do this by:
- Not closing your curtains during the daytime;
- Use automatic timer-switches to turn on a light and perhaps a radio or TV;
- Cancelling any newspaper or milk deliveries;
- Asking a trusted neighbour to clear your post away, or use Royal Mail's "keepsafe" service; they will keep your mail for up to two months;
- Asking a neighbour to park their car on your driveway;
- Working with your neighbours to keep an eye on each other's security through schemes like the Neighbourhood Watch;
- Locking all doors and windows and setting your intruder alarm if you have one.