British Standards BS5266 recommends the following testing regime:Daily
Indicators of central power supply should be visually inspected for correct operation.Monthly
One of Intelligent Security and Fire’s service engineers will visit your premises and carry out the following:
If automatic testing devices are used, the results of the short duration tests need to be recorded. For all other systems tests need to be carried out as follows:
- All luminaires and internally illuminated exit signs should be switched on in emergency mode using their batteries by simulating a failure of the supply to the normal lighting for a period sufficient to ensure that each lamp is illuminated.
- During this period, all luminaires and signs should be checked to ensure that they are present, clean, and functioning correctly. At the end of this test period, the supply to the normal lighting should be restored and any indicator lamps or devices checked to ensure that they are showing that the normal supply has been restored.
- For central battery systems, the correct operation of system monitors should be checked. For generating sets, refer to the requirement of ISO 8528-12.
If automatic testing devices are used, the results of the full rated duration test should be recorded. For all other systems the monthly inspection should be carried out and the following additional tests made:
- Each luminaire and internally illuminated sign should be tested for its full rated duration in accordance with the manufacturer's information.
- The supply of the normal lighting should be restored and any indicator lamp or device checked to ensure that it is showing that normal supply has been restored. The charging arrangements should be checked for proper functioning.
- The date of the test and its results should be recorded in the system logbook.
- In addition, for generating sets, refer to the requirements of ISO -12.
We can also carry out your routine testing requirements or supply user-friendly log books so a member of your staff can quickly and easily carry out these required interim checks. In addition, we offer a risk assessment service to help employers fulfil their statutory obligations under The Regulatory Reform Order.
For all your Emergency Lighting requirements please contact Intelligent Security and Fire on 01895 200 200 or send us an email using the form on this webpage.